Ory is an open source ecosystem and a cloud offering authentication, authorization, access control, and delegation (OAuth2 & OpenID Connect) services and APIs:
- Ory Cloud is a cloud service built on top of Ory Open Source.
- Ory Open Source offers scalable and hardened security software:
- Ory Kratos
- Ory Hydra
- Ory Oathkeeper
- Ory Keto
Why Ory is Different
Ory differentiates from other vendors in the following key areas:
- Our core services and APIs are developed and licensed under Apache 2.0, allowing you to participate, collaborate, and understand the inner workings of Ory.
- You can bring your own UI, in the programming language of your choosing, with the user experience that you like.
- From designing Identity Schemas using JSON Schema, to webhooks, to advanced configuration options - Ory is the most customizable platform out there.
- Ory spans the whole authentication and authorization universe with well-designed products and APIs:
- Identity Management with session management, flows for login, registration, account recovery & verification, mfa, and many more.
- Permission and Role Management.
- Delegation via OAuth2 and OpenID Connect.
- Zero Trust Networking.
- Modern API design with partial support for gRPC.
Ory Cloud is the commercial offering of Ory and is built on top of our popular open source software. Our goal with Ory Cloud is to offer a planet-scale, low-latency, resilient, and secure service that is easy to use and set up.
The Ory Cloud uses a variety of components - some are based on open source projects and others are closed source.
The Ory Console is the management UI of the Ory Cloud. It offers capabilities such as showing and searching for identities, managing user sessions, and gaining valuable insights in the form of dashboards and customization.
The Managed UI implements screens such as login, registration, account recovery, account setting, and account verification. This allows for fast adoption of Ory.
Contrary to other vendors, Ory allows you to implement your own (login, registration, ...) UI by offering simple, headless APIs.
Identity & Session Services
Ory Cloud incorporates the open source Ory Kratos project and offers:
- Self-service flows are everything users do on their own / without the help of others:
- Registration with passwords, social sign in, OpenID Connect, ...
- Login with passwords, social sign in, OpenID Connect, ...
- Updating the profile, email, changing the password, un/linking with Social. Sign In providers, ...
- Recovering the account by resetting the password.
- Verifying email addresses, phone numbers, ....
- Multi-factor authentication flows and recovery processes.
- Administrative identity management to get, create, update, delete identities (users) and their data.
- Headless APIs and data models allow you to fully customize Identity Schemas (e.g. adding fields like first name, accept tos, shipping address, gender, ...) and create your own login, registration, profile settings, recovery, and verification screen using our easy to use SDKs and REST APIs.
Ory Open Source
Ory is the largest open source ecosystem in the area of authentication, authorization, access control, and zero trust networking in the world. Ory is not another company "greenwashing" with open source by publishing SDKs under open source licenses. Instead, all of our core systems are available as Apache 2.0 licensed software without enterprise or open core models.
Head over to the Ory Open Source Overview for an introduction to the different projects.
Is Open Source Taking a Back Seat?
No! Ory Cloud is our commercial offering with which we generate revenue to build more open source and more features in Ory Cloud. Our value proposition and vision for Ory Cloud is to incorporate and advance the open source ecosystem and add additional services which are not possible to open source (e.g. Analytics, SLAs, SRE, Low-Latency).
Ory Cloud and our open source software are interlinked. While we have made some modifications to the open source to make it work better in our multi-tenant environment and operational (SRE) model, we are using the same code base, APIs, features, and configurations for the Ory Cloud.
In the future, we will increase our open source footprint, make the projects easier to modify, use, access, and distribute. The only impact Ory Cloud will have is that it will accelerate development and enable us to spend more resources on the open source!